Traveling in a strange place is scary and pickpocketing is a traveler's nightmare. Pickpocketing and snatching is inconvenient especially for tourists. There are extremely worst cities in the world for pickpocketing and crowded places are usually the target of thieves. When traveling, especially for solo travelers, there are ways to outsmart these thieves. Here are tips on how to protect your valuables from pickpockets and hopefully avoid pickpocketing all together.
- Carry valuables in a bag or purse that securely keep your belongings. There are bags designed to protect valuables from pickpockets in order to make traveler's life easier. Today, there are bags with magnetic pocket instead of zippers. When traveling to big cities and crowded place, always bring a purse with and inside zipper and an outside buckle or a sling bag that you can keep on your side or front. A backpack is not recommended in terms of keeping valuables.
- Don't wander in the streets at night or when it's dark. Generally, pickpocketing is rampant in crowded places, but mugging usually happened in less crowded places. So it's best that you avoid wandering in less crowded alleys at night. Even during day time, it's best that you should stay away from empty streets especially siesta time when in Spain.
- Stay focused wherever you go. When wandering or walking in the streets, always focused on your valuables. Don't leave your phone on the table even just for a second, it'll be gone. Make sure to keep you valuables in a safe bag and keep your eyes on it at all times.
- Awareness is essential. Before traveling, especially if you're new to a place make sure that you are aware of some pickpocketing techniques in the internet. Pickpockets usually targets escalators, they swipe phones and wallets from back pockets. And most of them targets people walking in the streets using their phones or snatching them and even purse.
- Trust your instinct. When wandering in foreign land and you feel that something is off, stop or change route. If you have no other way, just make sure to hold or purse or put your hand in your pockets and move away from the crowd.
Wherever you go, don't let pickpockets snatch your valuables and leave you humiliated and violated. Keep all your belongings safe by keeping them in a safe bag or purse. Get yourself a secure bag that has buckles and zippers. Furthermore, be aware and always stay in the safe side by avoiding crowded places where pickpockets more likely wander and avoid empty streets anytime of the day to avoid being mugged.