Aviaphobia or the fear of flying is one of the reasons why other people don't travel especially out of the country. Just the thought of boarding a plane makes them feel sick, anxious, breathless, and dizzy and make their hands sweat. Millions of people have this fear that's why there are many cancelled flights each year. If you are afraid to fly, don't let this fear control you, conquer it with this helpful tips.
Helpful Tips on How to Conquer Fear of Flying
- Recognize your fear. If you are have fear of flying, don't pretend that you are not afraid, just accept the feeling or recognize your fear. The first step is accepting the fear and don't fight it. Just allow yourself to feel the panic, tell yourself that it's happening and you'll just go it can help calm down your brain. It can help yourself to feel relax, helps ease the uncomfortable tightness in your throat, steady your breathing and loosen the grip in your upset stomach.
- Seek help for fear of flying. If you are really to get rid of your fear, you can sign up a course for fear of flying or a therapy. There are some programs offered on how to burst flying phobia. These kinds of program or therapy are very helpful because professional people will help you and you can also meet other people that are experiencing this fear. They will help you discover why this fear develops by their calming techniques and help you understand why you feel that way. You can look online that offers this kind for program and its helpful if they have satellite office in areas near you.
- Avoid exaggerating the fear you feel. People that are prone to fear of flying are those who are prone to anxiety. They exaggerate the dangerousness of the situation by thinking a lot instead of minimizing their ability to cope with the situation. They tend to think of the worse that could happen in the future and that cause them to shake, sweat and panic. These symptoms are just the reaction of their thoughts. If you feel these symptoms, you have to always think that you're okay and you'll be able to cope and it will help you get rid of those anxious thought patterns.
- Learn a calming technique that will help you relax. You have to find an inner calming technique that really works for you when you feel anxious. some people that are suffering fear of flying find that by repeating positive affirmations in their head helps them calm, while others use their imagination that they're somewhere in a relaxing place like on the beach. You have to focus on your breathing as you breathe on your nose and as your belly rise and falls. If your focus on your breathing, your mind wanders and it helps calm your mind.
- Relying on alcohol and medications is dangerous. The effects of alcohol and medications are just temporary and they have side effects. Passing out for a long period of time during flight can cause deep vein thrombosis or DVT or it causes to form blood clots in the legs. According to experts, those people who are taking anxiety medications during flight are making their situation worse. They have higher breathing and heart rates and this is dangerous, because the medication traumatizes the central nervous system.
- Instead of taking other medications or alcohol, Oxycontin is a substance more beneficial during flight. It is a chemical produced by the brain when you feel relaxed and safe. When your loved one holds your hand or you feel loved, your brain releases Oxycontin. If you want to travel, but have fear of flying brings a travel buddy that you love to feel the soothing benefits of your brain's "cuddle hormone.
- Inform the flight attendants of your fear. Flight attendants are trained to assist flyers especially nervous flyers. So don't be embarrassed to inform flight attendants of your fear so that they can check you periodically and they can give you comfort to make your journey more comfortable.