Traveling is fun, but there are some unavoidable circumstances such as delayed flights and you have no other choice, but to sleep in the airport. For travelers, sleeping in airports is just part of a journey especially if you have delayed flights. However, for some people, sleeping in airports is an odd idea. For airport sleeping newbies, here are some tips to make your airport sleeping adventure tolerable.
Helpful Airport Sleeping Tips for Travelers
- You should always have a backup plan. For some people who voluntarily sleep in airports, it's important that you should be aware that some airport officials do not allow people sleeping in airports. They will not kick you out, but they will ask for proof if you really have a ticket for the next day or the next few hours. You should be prepared to answer their questions and your airline ticket. Airports around the world have airport lounges, transit hotels, Wi-Fi, 24-hour food options and showers that every traveler needs.
- Be prepared all the time. When you're traveling and there's an upcoming calamity like hurricane or storm a few days before your flight, you have no choice but to go to the airport and be prepared for a longer stay there. You have to be prepared and here are some items you need: food and bottled water or just water container(airports have water dispensers) sunglasses, earplugs, blanket and pillow, a cheap inflatable raft or a sleeping bag, gadgets for entertainment like iPad, laptop, headphones, books, magazines, hand sanitizer, toilet paper.
- Be smart and be safe all the time. When you're sleeping in an airport always make sure of your safety. Security in airports are tight, but you have to make sure that you're sleeping area is near an airport office and CCTV cameras. If you are a solo traveler, chose a spot near other travelers. Make sure that they are really travelers and not homeless people to avoid robbery and attacks.
- Be early. If you have an early flight the next day and you are planning to sleep in the airport, make sure you get there early to have a good spot. Holidays and summer season are the busiest time of the year, be sure to come early to have a good spot.
- Protect your belongings. One of the major concerns when spending the night at the airport is getting robbed while you sleep. If you can't keep your luggage in the left luggage counter overnight, you have to make sure that your belongings are safe. You can use luggage locks and you can also make use of your carry-on bag as a pillow.
- Wear the right dress. If you're planning to sleep in an airport you have to dress in layers. You have to wear comfortable clothes. Pack a pair of gloves, a hat and a fleece blanket. Airports can be cold at especially at night.
- Have some respect to your fellow airport sleepers. There are also other airport sleepers, be considerate. If you can't sleep and you feel like calling someone a home, don't talk loud because other people are sleeping.
- Showering in the airport. After sleeping in the airport and you want to freshen up the next morning before your flight, there are a few airports that have shower facilities. Some of them a free and some can be used with a small fee. Some also have vending machines for shampoo, soap and toothpaste. You can also bring your own.
- Be ready for an early wake-up call. Sleeping in airports has become popular that's why airport securities are doing the rounds every morning to wake-up overnight sleepers around 5:00 AM. Travelers start to arrive at the airport for early morning check-in.
Sleeping in airports has become popular today. One of the best memories when traveling are the unexpected experiences and one of them is sleeping in the airport. It's not fun at all, but it's an adventure if you are prepared and you know what to do. So read these tips to make sure that you are prepared in case you’ll be sleeping in the airport on your next trip.