Planning a vacation in a different country or continent is exciting, but most long haul flights are miserable especially for first time travelers and sometimes even to constant travelers. However, long haul travel should not be as uncomfortable as you think if you know some tricks to survive being trapped in an airborne plane for long hours.
If you are wondering on how you're going to survive the long haul flight, TravelGenixx have prepared some essential tips on how to survive and make a long haul flight more enjoyable.
Tips on How to Survive a Long Haul Flight
- Bring your own snacks. Long haul flights meaning you need more food to satisfy your hunger. Buying snack on board is more expensive and not healthy. To avoid uncomfortable experience, you should pack healthy snacks like protein-rich snacks. They will keep you full longer such as almonds, cheese, protein bars, yogurt and other nuts. Carb-rich foods such as oatmeal, spaghetti and whole grain bread can help cope with jet lag.
- Stay hydrated. Air travel is dehydrating so you must continue drinking water all throughout the flight. Don't wait until you’ll get thirsty to ask the flight attendant some water.
- Avoid Coffee while on board. Caffeine will keep you up, dehydrated and eventually will make you irritable because of lack of sleep. If you really want to drink coffee, take decaffeinated coffee instead.
- Drink green tea. A decaffeinated green tea is a good option for a long-haul flight. It can also help prevent jet lag.
- Keep alcohol intake to minimum level. Drinking alcohol is a depressant. However, it is also a stimulant for the first few hours, so like caffeine, it will keep you up. That's the reason why you have to keep your alcohol intake into a minimum level because it can lead to dehydration and grogginess. You will likely experience jet lag when you land.
- Wear comfortable clothing. Wearing a comfortable loose clothing during an air flight is more comfortable especially a long one. Men can wear a pair of jeans and a T-shirt while women can wear leggings and sweater.
- Bring your own neck pillow. It will keep you physically comfortable especially while sleeping and will help you put to sleep when you’re having a trouble sleeping.
- Bring earplugs or headphones. This will help you conceal noise especially the plane's engine that could cause stress. Earplugs or headphones will not only conceal block out noise, but will also block out noise that hinders you from getting sleep like crying babies, fellow passengers and flight attendants talking.
- Bring an eye mask. It will help you blocking out light for you to get some sleep easily.
- Charge all your devices. When traveling, you'll be using your phone all the time to call at home or even to entertain yourself like playing games or taking photos. Make sure all your gadgets are fully charged before you leave and bring an extra power pack.
When traveling a long flight, you have to be prepared in order to survive long-haul flight as well as jet lag when you land. You have to select the food that you eat as mentioned above while on board. Healthy travel food is essential to have a smooth and enjoyable flight whether a short or long-haul flight. There is nothing more enjoyable than getting a good sleep, feeling comfortable and eating healthy food while traveling. Those essential tips above are helpful to prevent boredom, deep-vein thrombosis, dehydration and sleep deprivation.