Traveling requires planning and that includes choosing what kind of travel bag to bring. The choice between these two travel bags is not that hard. When choosing between a backpack and suitcase, it depends on what type of vacation you're taking, your destination, the duration of your trip and what season you’re into. We have gathered some tips on how to choose a traveling bag and their pros and cons.
Pros and Cons of Backpack
Backpack is a king of short trips, which allows you to move quickly. There are two types of backpacks, small backpack and big backpack. Small backpack is obviously a choice for shorter trips like weekends trips and you can carry a small backpack when you're planning a long trip with more short side trips along the way. You can leave your suitcase in the hotel and just bring a small backpack for short trips. And of course, a big backpack is good for hiking for a week.
- Small and easy to carry anywhere, gives you freedom to move fast. With a small backpack, you can walk fast, run, jump over puddles and even ride a motorcycle or bicycle without much effort.
- Can easily fit in an overhead storage or underneath a seat of a bus or car.
- A small backpack is multi-use. You can bring it even for long trips if you plan to hike or do some short day trips.
- With a small size one, you can only bring just travel essentials you need for a day or two - just the things you need and nothing more.
- A small backpack is often top-loading and you need to unpack and pack everything every time you need to get something.
- For multiple climates or especially colder seasons, a small backpack is not advisable, because you'll need a variety of clothes and bulky winter jackets.
- It's not as sturdy as a suitcase; you need to be careful not to sit on it while on travel.
- Basically, you need to roll your clothes instead of folding them because there's no plenty of room for everything. That's why you can only bring limited clothing or just the essentials.
Larger backpacks are best for long trips and for people that are used to hiking and walking. Mostly backpackers and hikers prefer this kind of luggage so that they can carry it wherever they go. Just be warned that this is heavier and if you're not used of carrying a heavy backpack, better use a suitcase with wheels for long trips.
Pros and Cons of Suitcase
A suitcase is the best choice for long trips and when you're heading to a single destination with no side/short trips and you won't be dragging your suitcase from one place to another. Also, it's best if you plan to travel during colder season or go to a colder place so that you can bring bulky jackets. And a perfect traveling bag for holidays or when you travel to a special occasion or wedding not to ruin your clothing.
- A sturdy suitcase with a hard-shell is suitable for long travels and you can lock it to protect from theft.
- A wheeled suitcase can give you more comfort when walking through airports than backpacks. No back pains and hassle free.
- It's easier to pack and for a wrinkle-free for formal clothing.
- A suitcase is a lot easier to re-pack than a backpack.
- Most suitcases are waterproof, especially the hard-shell ones.
- Organization is a lot easier with suitcases, especially of you have small organizer bags for small accessories and clothing.
- Sometimes, carry a suitcase is not easy especially on dirt roads with cobblestones.
- It's hassle to wheel a suitcase on a crowded place. It's not good when you transfer a lot of public transportation like bus, boat and train.
- Suitcases are more expensive that backpacks. Cheap suitcases are mostly not sturdy, have squeaky wheels, weak zipper and not safe at all.
A wrong choice of travel bag can ruin your vacation. If you’re planning to travel, it’s better to read the pros and cons of traveling bags mentioned above. For a hassle-free travel, plan well your vacation so that you'll enjoy every minute of it!